Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ye Old Drugstore/Soda Fountain!


One of the "classier" stores in Firth was Warren's Drug Store. It sat smack dab in the middle of town and sported a large glass show window. I suppose it was as close to a "department store" as you could get, and still live in Firth. I never felt particularly comfortable in the drugstore for some reason. Mrs. Warren was an intimidating personality and always seemed to be watching me whenever I was in the shop--which was rare. The only time I ventured in was when it was my Cousin Karan's birthday and my mother gave me money to purchase a gift for her. I usually ended up buying her a bottle of finger nail polish or a small, blue, heart-shaped bottle of "Evening in Paris" perfume. But it was still fun to browse the shelves in the long and narrow shop. Mrs. Warren had a fondness for "crystal" and proudly displayed it in their drugstore and at home. Behind the shelves were mirrors which gave the crystal that extra sparkle.

There were a few mysteries for me in the drugstore. First, I don't remember ever seeing Mr. Warren--the druggist. I'm not sure if he was deceased by the time I shopped there, or if Mrs. Warren had him hidden away somewhere. I just don't recall ever seeing a druggist behind the counter. The second mystery--and it was a big one--was this: Just what were all those "gifts" wrapped in brown paper that lined the very top of Mrs. Warren's shelves--and who were they for? Each time I went into the shop I noticed boxes wrapped in brown paper and they were sitting on the uppermost shelves. I suppose you'd need a ladder to reach them. The mystery was solved years later when I myself was in need of the contents of those "gifts". They were items of a rather private nature and used only by women. It then became clear why those boxes were so discreetly wrapped (I wish we'd go back to that system today--I get sick of the barrage of "feminine" products that we see everywhere.) That being solved I must tell you about my most favorite part of the drugstore . . . the SODA FOUNTAIN!

Yes, Warren's Drug Store possessed an amazingly exotic Soda Fountain. I myself, was never able to sample any of the delicacies which passed over it's counter; I could only imagine how sweet and delicious they must be. At the counter there were silver bar stools which were attached to the floor. From the top of the counter I could see the soda fountain--a fancy spigot which spewed forth white, fizzy water. Mrs. Warren would fill the fancy stemware approximately 2/3 full with that fizzy water, then she'd stir in some red syrup, add a scoop of snowy white vanilla ice cream, which made that fizzy water fizz all the more! Soon there were bubbles floating up and over the top of the fancy glass! Mrs. Warren was a magician! The water at my house never fizzed the way hers did! In retrospect, it's funny! Never once did I ever expect to taste one of her amazing concoctions. It's like I always knew that those exquisite creations were only for others. Don't feel bad for me--I'm thrilled to simply have the memory of such a place, at such a time, as Ponce-a-Time.

2 comments:

  1. These are amazing stories...having lived in Firth. What a great way to record them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving reading these stories!! Thanks for sharing them with us, I've got to tell my parents about your blog!

    ReplyDelete