Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Harold Brighton's Barber Shop


While Firth may have had a small population it supported several small businesses. One of those businesses was Harold Brighton's Barber Shop. Harold and his wife (can't remember her name) lived on the corner just through that old weedy, scratchy field. Their home was one of the nicer homes in Firth and I thought they must be rich. I played with their Granddaughter Michelle (who lived with her parents in a small apt. in the Brighton's basement) and I loved to play in their yard as they had the most amazing glider swing. We sat on benches facing each other and by pushing our feet could send the swing soaring. I loved it. Eh-hmmm . . . back to the barber shop.
When it was time for a haircut my father would walk to the barbershop to "get 'er done". Occasionally I got to go with him. Dad probably took me just to get me out of my mother's hair for a few minutes. Harold's small brick shop sported a handsome red, white and blue barber pole. He also owned one of the most elaborate barber chairs ever seen. The rich dark brown leather was surrounded by ornate, intricate silver work--it must have weighed a ton. As you entered the sunny barber shop you were treated to the sweet smell of shaving creams, cologne, and musty male smells. I sat in the waiting chairs and watched as dad, draped in a white cover, got his haircut. Snippets of Dad's dark hair soon covered the cape. Dad seemed to enjoy his time in the chair and there was always lively conversation which continued until we walked out the door. We weren't there for very long, but it made a lasting memory for me--one which included my father who died when I was ten years old. Even now, whenever I see a barber pole it takes me back to those treasured times when I alone, got to go with my father.
BTW: I was suprised years later to see that old barber chair sitting in the garage of my good friend Tonya. It was still just as big, just as ornate, as I had remembered it. I recently asked her what became of the chair. She thought for a minute, consulted with her husband, and said they had given it to their "hairdresser" daughter Wendy. Who knows where it is now?

1 comment: