Monday, June 1, 2009

Crime-fightin' Cowboys!


My cousin Karan (one year/4 months my junior) and I were joined at the hip as children. I cannot think of my childhood without thinking of her. She was my best friend, closest ally, and co-conspirator on a lot of adventures. She was born without a hip socket. Consequently the doctor placed her in corrective shoes which were attached to a board on wheels--the prototype for today's skateboard. I was extremely jealous of her unique mode of transportation and wished that I too had been born without a hip socket so I could could have my own set of wheels. This apparatus was supposed to force her leg into the hip bone in hopes of creating it's own socket. As an adult I realize that must have been painful, but at the time I thought she was the luckiest girl on wheels (pardon the pun).

Anyway, she and I used to gallop around the barnyard pretending to be Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. (For those of you too young to know--Roy Rogers and Dale Evans were the fastest husband/wife crime-fighting cowboys ever to blaze our old black and white TV set.) Karan and I would take turns being Trigger--a white and noble steed. Trigger naturally needed reigns so we would borrow twine from grandpa's hay bales and tie it around our waists. Two clicks of the tongue and we were off on our cowboy adventure. Naturally our cap pistols hung closely by our side just in case we ran into Indians--who always turned out to be my little brother Merrill, and Karan's little sister Connie. A cap-pistol battle would ensue and of course we won as we were Roy Rogers and Dale Evans--who always stood four-square on the right side of the law. Not to mention Karan and I were older and could probably "whoop up" on Merrill and Connie. Yep, for them it probably safer to loose!

De-Onn Mack-o-wacky

For those of a curious nature, Karan is the daughter of John and Loraine Chapman a.k.a. the best aunt and uncle in the world. Catch ya later!

1 comment:

  1. I'll bet you two were a kick in the pants to watch! Kids nowadays don't seem to have that kind of imagination!

    ReplyDelete