Saturday, January 22, 2011

Religion Anyone?


The current Firth Ward LDS building was built and ready for worship by about 1963--in fact I believe that my father's funeral was the first funeral held in that building. Before that, we went to church in the little church that sat right in the northeast corner of the current parking lot. It was an awesome building with lots of character. The church had 3 levels; it was a split entry. When you came in the front door the chapel was to the right--hardwood floors and hardwood benches. A large picture of President David O. McKay hung on the wall. Behind the pulpit was an upper level (covered with draperies during meetings) where they held dances, parties and things. And the lower level is where the kids got to attend Primary. The Primary room seemed huge to me at the time. One of the classes I attended was held in the kitchen because were short on classroom space. I remember sitting there, looking at the sacrament trays and white paper sacrament cups. I'm not sure why that memory is so vivid in my mind--maybe they appeared "out of place" to me--so ordinary. I also remember trying to give a 2 minute talk--I started to cry. Lorraine Taylor scooped me up in her arms and held me during the rest of the meeting. What a safe place to be. When Deanne Mecham conducted Primary(she must have been a new bride) I thought she was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen--and what a smile! During those days we had two separate meetings on Sunday. We had Sunday School from 10:00 to 12:00; then Sacrament meeting was from 7:00-8:30 each Sunday evening. We most always went to Sunday School but I have to admit we were slackers when it came to Sacrament meeting; we preferred to stay home and watch Walt Disney and Bonanza on TV. My poor cousins always had to attend both meetings--Sunday's were hard for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment